Spring is here and it’s time to move away from all things pumpkin spiced. Another flavor is in town and it’s here to take over: lemon poppy seed. It’s my all time favorite flavor combination and I could never get sick of it. I’ll probably be making lemon poppy seed everthing. So if you see me posting about a smoothie with those ingredients, don’t question it.
Now, you may not want a lemon poppy seed smoothie, but I strongly believe that you want these waffles (that’s why you’re reading this, right?). Well no worries, I’m here to give you all the squeeze on this recipe!
Per usual, this recipe is quick and simple so you can get to filling your belly with it faster. So grab a cup of tea/ coffee/ water or whatever you desire and let’s get to making a fabulous breakfast.
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 4 minutes
Servings: 6 waffles
- 2/3 cup of gluten free flour blend
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/cup melted coconut oil
- 1/3 cup of corn starch
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1/4 cup of lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp of lemon zest
- 1 tbsp of poppy seeds
- 1 1/2 tap of baking powder
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- Preheat your waffle iron.
- Combine the flour, corn starch, baking powder, lemon zest, and poppy seeds in bowl.
- Mix the wet ingredients together, eggs, water, coconut oil, lemon juice, and vanilla until thoroughly combined.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet a little at a time until you have a nice batter. The consistency will be on the thicker side.
- Add 1/4 cup of batter to waffle iron and let it cook for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Put them on a plate and add some syrup 🙂
I suggest throwing some fresh blueberries on top or making a blueberry compote for an added flavor element.
Pro tip: Wrap leftover waffles and store them in the freezer. Pop them in the toaster to reheat.
There you have it! A lovely stack of waffles to enjoy all at once or to have whenever you summon them from the depths of the freezer.
Enjoy your creation and let me know what you think!
~ Juliana Marie